Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Progress Report

I took several pictures this afternoon so that you can see the progress that some of the plots are making.

Runner Beans


Finally, a few tassels of corn.  I planted this really late and I wasn't sure if it would even produce anything.  It seems to be progressing, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low....  It's such a small plot of corn, but I have learned a lot by watching the way that it grows.  This is a hobby garden--thank goodness!





The watermelon plants are putting on lots of fruit, but still none that are quite ripe yet.  Here is a baby one and an almost-ripe melon to compare.  They grow fast!




Pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins.  I think that my pruning is paying off.  There are several fruits that are getting really large.  My newest problem is that of cucumber beetles--my first real pest issue.  I have done some reading and it seems that the beetle infects the plant with a bacterial wilt disease.  In the second picture you can see the leaf of the plant drooping a little.  I plan to pick up something to treat them with tomorrow.  I hope it works!  I was really excited about the prospects of having our own pumpkins this fall!







It's difficult to see in this picture, but these are purple hull peas.  They are going wild.  I see purple fingers in my near future!





I had to throw this picture in here.  These are beefsteak tomatoes. I have been drooling over them--they look SO GOOD.  I wish they would hurry up and turn red already!



And finally, a sunflower bloom.  I planted these seeds just for fun and I have been anxiously awaiting a bright yellow bloom to burst forth.  This evening, it finally began to open up.  These just make me happy.  I have had a BLAST growing all of these plants this spring and summer!


No comments: